The Royal Hawaiian Center cordially invites you to the 3rd annual Waikiki Steel Guitar Week!
The Waikīkī Steel Guitar Week, incorporating the Waikīkī Steel Guitar Festival, is a week-long event celebrating Hawaiian music and the Hawaiian steel guitar. The annual event will be held at the Royal Hawaiian Center’s Royal Grove stage during the week of July 15-20, 2019, immediately preceding the annual ‘Ukulele Festival Hawaii. The scheduling of the festival provides opportunities for fans of either instrument to expand their music experience by participating in both events.
Monday through Thursday evening concerts will feature one-hour performances by different Hawaiian steel guitar artists and ensembles. The festival’s Friday and Saturday evening ho‘olaule‘a performances will feature various Hawaiian steel guitar artists and bands with different programs each evening.
The event is presented free to the public by the Royal Hawaiian Center and produced by the Hawaii Institute for Music Enrichment and Learning Experiences. This program is supported in part by the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts through appropriations from the Legislature of the State of Hawai‘i and by the National Endowment for the Arts.
Please join us for…
- Nightly Hawaiian steel guitar performances 6-7pm
- Friday and Saturday evening Ho’olaule’a 4:15-8pm featuring Hawaiian pageants with your favorite Hawaiian steel guitar masters, each presenting their own program of Hawaiian music and hula!
- Saturday open stage performances
- Hosted by Kathy Collins and Hau’oli Akaka
- Vintage steel guitar exhibit and hands-on opportunities
- Local artists such as Paul Agar, Alan Akakam Steve Cheney, Scott Furushima, Tetsuya Ishiyama, Paul Kim, Kiyoshi “Lion” Kobayashi, Kapomo Lopes, Gred Sardinha and more!
- The largest steel guitar festival in Hawai’i!
For more details visit waikikisteelguitarweek.com or call Helumoa Hale Guest Services at (808) 922-2299.